If an intruder or a threat to safety is identified in the building or in the immediate area, a lock down may be declared by command or emergency personnel. In this situation, immediate action is required.
If in the building,
- Lock all doors.
- Keep students and staff away from doors and windows.
- Move to a secure (concealed or walled) area of the building. (not a bathroom)
- If gunshot or explosion is heard, drop to the floor and seek cover.
- Move a telephone into the secure area and call 911 as soon as possible.
- Account for all students and staff. Notify police to cover or contain students and staff who may be outside the building.
- If a medical emergency arises, render first aid and report to command or emergency personnel.
- Maintain a calm environment.
- Stay where you are until instructed otherwise by command or emergency personnel, even if the school/work day is over.
- Guard outside exits to prevent anyone from leaving the building.
- Update locked down personnel at 5-10 minute intervals, as information is received from command or emergency personnel.
- Proceed immediately to a secure area.
- Remain there until instructed otherwise by command or emergency personnel, even if the school/work day is over.
Report the incident as soon as possible